TexasT's (texasts) wrote,

  • Mood:

Well Fuckkkkkkk!

The Portable Computing Platform Thing

That was supposed to take place today was a total CLUSTER-FUCK! I still don’t have a laptop at this point. Spent half of my day screwing around with this crap. Totally nonproductive. And I’ll probably get another ugly missive from the Asian Overlord about it.

The guy showed up promptly at 900. Did a complete backup of all my stuff (at my request) and proceeded with the new (to me) machine. Well half my tools didn’t install and there was no way to do the install. The help-desk fool I spoke with told me at first it was going to be possibly be 24 hours before all the required stuff would push to my machine.

I was incredulous and asked him to check his sources again. Came back and said wait an hour and reboot and try again. If that didn’t work to call back. After 2 hours and a warm boot and two cold boots, I had had it. Called back and got the SAME GUY. Odds of this in a company the size of the one I work for are pretty slim.

Oh Brother! He waned to do a remote desktop share. I didn’t think this would do any good as I know more than he did. But I relented. He got a look at the machine name and said he would be unable to help me further. And I would need o call another help-desk because I was an employe of such and such (another division). I assured him that I was NOT an employee of that other division. Nevertheless he would not be able to assist me further and would I like him to connect me?

No I wouldn’t but go ahead. He did a warm passoff and the other guy sounded like he was RUSSIAN! He did a tweak or two and said now you need to restart and call them back. And then DISCONNECTED me.

By this time I was at a pretty good rolling boil... I had already IM’ed the tech from desktop support, sent him an email, and left a phone message asking him what part of the seven hells he had left me in. And he needed to bring me the right machine. I started a reboot and walked away. When I got back and was in the process of logging back on, I heard a little cough behind me and the techie was there and had brought back my desktop. He knew he had screwed this up. And would I mind if he brought me a different machine on Tuesday? It will be a newer machine and from the right inventory.

Sure I said. He hooked my desktop back up and I was in business. Then he told me I was lucky that I had caught him as it might have been next week before he got back to me otherwise.

I assured him that HE and HIS supervisor were the lucky ones, as I could not be down for two days. And they would not have liked the messages I would have left for them...

We had a nice laugh about that. And I got back to work. And so did he.

Total elapsed time: 5 HOURS. Shot my day to hell it did.

This is another example of the many reasons NOT to outsource your infrastructure...
Tags: 42, work

  • COPD Still Sucks...

    But I was laughing when I said that. Sort of. Housemate and I ventured out to Subways today. Glad I took one of my bottles with me. By the…

  • Along Came a Spider...

    Much as I hate to admit it, I was sitting on the John earlier this morning (in preparation to go to bed), a big ol' black or brown spider wandered in…

  • Sorry. Not sorry...

    But I don't give a fuck about the Oscars.

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.